What is there to learn about SEO from Google’s past Algorithm Updates?
Table of Content
- What is Google Algorithm?
- Google Algorithm Updates in Past Years
- 01. Product Review
- 02. Snippet Deduplication
- 03. BERT
- 04. Broad Core Algorithm
- 05. Fred
- 06. Intrusive
- 07. Penguin
- 08. Mobilegeddon
- 09. Hummingbird
- 10. Panda
- Identify the new Google Algorithm Updates and Effects on Site
- 01. Don’t wait for the official announcement
- 02. Keep a track of website metrics
- 03. Use Algorithm Update Trackers
- Recovery from Algorithm Penalties
- Protection from the Penalties
- Conclusion – The final words!
What is Google Algorithm?
- Intrusive Update
Google Algorithm Updates in Past Years
With the advancement of technology, Google has updated its algorithm to optimize the content posted on it. Here we did research and dig out the Google Algorithm updates that teach about the changes happened in past years in Search Engine Optimization:
01. Product Review Update - Dec 2021
The recent review update is a product review update that began rolling out for English language apps and will nearly take 3 weeks to complete.
02. Featured Snippet Deduplication - January 2020
03. BERT Update - October 2019
04. Broad Core Algorithm Update - March 2018
05. Fred - March 2017
06. Intrusive - August 2016
07. Penguin - Sept 2016
08. Mobilegeddon - 2015
09. Hummingbird - 2013
10. Panda - 2011
Identify the new Google Algorithm Updates and Effects on Site
- Don’t wait for the official announcement
- Keep a track of website metrics
- Use Algorithm Update Trackers
- Blogs – Many bloggers are there who post the latest updates related to Google Algorithm whenever any update happens.
- Moz Update History maintains a quick up-to-date list of Google algo updates.
- SEMrush sensor tool measures volatility in search of better results.
- Hiring an SEO expert can also assist you with the new updates.
Recovery from Algorithm Penalties
If you suspect, that Google Algorithm has penalized your website, follow the below steps to maintain the ranking:
- Find out the reason
- Do Algorithm friendly changes
Protection from the Penalties
- Keep track of Backlinks
- Look for copied content
For marketing, if you frequently outsource the content, check it and avoid posting copied content. The identical content makes it challenging for Google to rank the sites. Your website might end up at low ranking and a similar website might steal your chance of being the top website.
Or if your website already has duplicate content, either delete it or edit and repost it.
- User-friendly Layout
The constant need to improve the services inspires Google to bring regular updates for better search results. In the early years of Google, it was quite easy for users to identify the Google Algorithm updates, as it happened rarely. Over the team, Google Algorithms started updating, many times in one year. To improve the Search Results Pages, Digital Marketing efforts and for a better ranking of sites, small changes are done every month. If you can’t keep the track of such updates, contact experts.